Genetics Undergrad FAQs:
1) SPECIAL PERMISSION NUMBERs (SPNs)
- Genetics (447:380), Genetics lab (447:382), General Microbiology (447:390), or Pathogenic Microbiology (447:392)?
- These courses are managed by the Office for Undergraduate Instruction (OUGI). If you have questions about prereqs overrides/SPNs/waitlists or registration issues go to the following website for more information: https://biology.rutgers.edu/2-uncategorised/374-spring-2018-wait-list-18.
- Genetics Electives (i.e., non-major trying to get into the majors-only section)
- We do not have SPNs for these courses, so keep checking Webreg for an opening in the non-majors section. As students adjust their schedules, spaces may open up. If there are openings in the majors-only section during add/drop, we may release a limited number of SPNs at that time.
- Independent scholarship course (i.e., genetics research, independent study, or honors in Genetics).
The process to register for independent scholarship is as follows:
- Find a mentor and discuss the project with that person.
- Write a brief description of the project so I know it has something to do with Genetics.
- Complete the appropriate DocuSign form on the Independent Scholarship Form webpage. You will upload the brief description in the form. There are separate forms:
- One for a Genetic faculty member
- One for a non-Genetic faculty member
- One for Honors thesis
- One for Independent study, writing intensive, or summer
- One for more than 3 credits (this is typically not approved)
- One for Effective Communications only.
- Once you submit, your mentor receives an email to sign.
- If it is a non-Genetics faculty member, the Vice Chair will receive and sign.
- When everyone signs, you will receive an email containing SPN for the course to register.
- If you are also registering for a Communications course (i.e., Thesis Writing for Honors in Genetics or Effective Communications), you will also receive a SPN for those courses in the same email.)
- Genetic Analysis I (Fall)
- If you are a declared Genetics major, please submit a request for an SPN through the SAS SPN System.
- Genetic Analysis II (Spring)
- Please submit a request for an SPN through the SAS SPN System.
- Effective Communications (447:430) only
- To take Effective Communication, you must have completed one semester of independent scholarship. When you fill out the form for your second semester of independent scholarship, indicate on the last page that you are also taking Effective Communication and you will receive the SPNs for both when you submit your form. If you have already completed two semesters of independent scholarship, you can take Effective Communication by itself. In this case, you would submit the Effective Communication Only form to confirm that you completed the Independent Scholarship requirement. All forms can be found here: https://genetics.rutgers.edu/academics/undergraduate/independent-scholarship-forms. Please note that graduating seniors have priority registration for Effective Communication, especially in the Spring semester.
2) WHAT CLASSES CAN I TAKE TO COMPLETE THE GENETICS MAJOR?
3) I AM HAVING AN ISSUE WITH TRANSFER CREDITS. WHOM SHOULD I CONTACT?
Transfer students should contact the SAS Transfer Center for advising and transfer credit preapproval. For assistance with transfer credits that do not appear on your transcript, please contact Onestop or visit the Scarlet Hub for access to the registrar. If you are transferring from another Rutgers schools such as SEBS or SOE, please refer to the website for School-to-school transfer.
4) I AM UNABLE TO REGISTER FOR A CLASS BECAUSE THERE IS NOT ENOUGH TIME BETWEEN IT AND ANOTHER CLASS I AM TAKING. CAN I HAVE AN OVERRIDE?
If your questions are not answered here: